Thursday, August 19, 2010

Kyoto

Let me just say, I've always been a big believer in: "You get what you pay for". And this saying has never been more true in regards to my last sushi experience.

On a sunny Tuesday afternoon, I ventured downtown to Kyoto on my lunch break to enjoy some rolls and chat with two of my fabulous friends: Taylor and Devon. The three of us go way back.

Devon and I have been enjoying sushi together circa 2004. Throughout the years, while home from college, we made it a point to have our "sushi dates," and I'm happy to say that our dates have continued into adulthood - er, if we even are really "adults"?

Taylor and I also go way back - circa fifth grade. You could probably even count second grade, but we were in different classes. Anyway, we were tragically torn apart in fifth grade, but became friends our senior year of high school. It's an adorable story of two people meant to be best friends, but I digress ...

Anyway, so we all met at Kyoto at about noon. The atmosphere of Kyoto is great. It's on Congress Avenue, above the famous Elephant Room (For all the ladies, The Dress Shop is also below Kyoto. Totally fabulous dresses!). The long, rectangular room offers a sushi bar and dining tables. It also looked like the restaurant had several "private" tables that were a more traditional, Japanese style of dining. Though "traditional, Japanese style," is an assumption on my part as I have never been to Japan (though I would love to go if anyone wants to take me!). And I digress again ... The tables are low to the ground and you sit on a cushion with a chair back. It looked like there was a hole beneath the table to dangle your legs. The chair backs, however, looked extremely uncomfortable. The tables did appear to have a sliding door to create an intimate dining atmosphere.

Kyoto also has great lunch specials. Each of us chose the roll special. You get two rolls out of a choice of six or so, and miso soup all for $6.50 (a grand total of $7.04 with tax). I also hear Kyoto has a good happy hour, and the restaurant's miso soup is pretty tasty.

So I am sad to say the positives of my review end here.

Like I said, we each did the roll special. Devon ordered the Godzilla and California rolls; Taylor opted for the Spicy Tuna Tempura and California rolls; and yours truly dined on the Godzilla and Spicy Tuna Tempura rolls.

I'm not really sure where to begin on the horribleness of the whole situation. From service to food quality, Kyoto, well ... It sucked to put it lightly.

Let's start with service.

Devon unfortunately was in a bit of last-minute rush. But seeing as most people have a lunch hour, we figured service would be speedy. Devon said she had been there before for lunch and was in and out. Well today was not that day. It was nearly impossible to get our waiters' (yes we had more than one) attention. Our main waiter paid little attention, didn't offer us straws and ignored (or maybe was oblivious) to our "we need your assistance" gestures and/or stares. Furthermore, Taylor arrived a little late, and it took about 15 minutes just for them to take her order. And then another 15, just to get her soup! Seriously, I'm pretty sure all they had to do was ladle ...

Devon barely finished eating in time to get to her appointment as Taylor was just getting her soup. I kid you not. As Devon had to make a hasty exit, I did not get to obtain her impressions on the sushi.

However, Taylor and I both agreed the sushi was bland, unoriginal and didn't quite satisfy our craving. Since we both had the Spicy Tuna Tempura Roll, we'll start there.

The rolls.

The Spicy Tuna Tempura Roll is basically a spicy tuna roll fried tempura-style (golden, flaky, crunch) covered in eel sauce.

First off, the roll should be called the tuna tempura roll as not one hint on spice hit my 'buds. Secondly, they can omit the tempura as well as it was basically a fried, gooey blob. Where was the golden? Where was the flake? Where was the crunch? All I got was a soggy mess. Thirdly, while I love eel sauce, there is such a thing as too much eel sauce. As I discussed my disaster-sushi-lunch with my boss, I told her about the abundance of eel sauce. She suggested they might be trying to cover up bad fish. I'm inclined to agree with her. So, thanks for pointing that out, Aimee! Luckily, there was no food poisoning involved, bad fish or not.

Now let's discuss the Godzilla Roll. This roll puts blah in bland! While on paper it sounds amazing, the overall effect is lackluster and boring. The Godzilla Roll includes salmon, avocado and cucumber on the inside, drizzled with spicy terriyaki sauce and sprinkled with crunchy tempura flakes.

Once again, where is the spice in this roll? I mean I know I can't handle super hot food, but seriously? When I think something has no spice, it clearly lacks hotness on all levels (from looks to taste!).

The roll was also squishy. I'm not sure if it was the rice or what, but the roll fell apart easily. When I picked one up with my chopstick, it kind of caved in on itself, making it difficult to eat. Also, I wanted the crunch of the tempura flakes with each bite, but the flakes easily fell off the roll. I was left to scoop them with my chopsticks and eat them separately. On that note, the flakes were a little stale, as Taylor pointed out. The overall flavor of this roll is just boring. I can't think of a better word to describe it. There's nothing impressive about this roll. Let's just say this roll is Godzilla-like in name only.

I also tried one of Taylor's California rolls. And it was dry, and comparable to grocery store sushi. It needed some sort of sauce like an aioli or a creamy wasabi sauce. I'm pretty sure it was imitation crab, too. Now that I'm also looking at Kyoto's menu online, it seems they use a lot of imitation crab meet in their rolls. YUCK!

Furthermore, the rolls were not filling. While I was full at the time, about 30 minutes later I was starving and resorted to a Kashi bar for an afternoon snack. The Kashi bar was extremely satisfying, in case you were wondering.

And the mouthgasms?

All rolls get a one. Do I really need to explain why? Didn't think so.

Overall, if you want sushi and are on a tight budget, you're better off going to H.E.B in my opinion. I've had some decent rolls from Central Market and Whole Foods for under $10. I'm not saying I won't ever go here again as I think everything deserves a second chance, but there is definitely better sushi out there.

Let me know your thoughts, readers. I've heard nothing but good things about Kyoto. Unfortunately, I left disappointed, but feel I got what I paid for. Sushi is cheap for a reason, I suppose.

In unrelated sushi news, my smokin' hot boyfriend and I ordered Sushi Zushi for dinner tonight - OMG. YUMMMM. You MUST try the Oaklawn Roll. Seriously, 5+ mouthgasms! I have a feeling Sushi Zushi will be hard to beat in terms of taste, presentation AND price point!

And lastly dear readers, how do I leave a freakin' comment on this blog? I've tried to respond to y'alls comments and can't figure it out. I'm somewhat technology inept. So please help me out!

Until next time, keep it sexy, Austin.

2 comments:

  1. Kyoto? Sounds more like Kyot-OH NO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. H.E.B.'s sushi would kick the crap out of Kyoto's sushi any day!!! I <3 H.E.B.!

    ReplyDelete