Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sushi Zushi

So before I begin my first review, I must give a shout out to my wonderful (and strikingly handsome) boyfriend for not only coming up with the name of my blog, but also tinkering with the HTML to create the fabulous background you are currently viewing. So, thanks, Patrick George! We both know I don't have the patience to figure this stuff out :)

And now, my review for my current favorite sushi place in good ol' ATX - Sushi Zushi located on W. 5th St.

After my initial blog post, I was, of course, craving sushi. So my fabulous friend Ali and I headed that way. We are frequenters of this sushi establishment, and I always know I can count on Ali to eat sushi with me! Though she is now venturing into veganism ... we'll see how that goes!

Some might consider Sushi Zushi a chain as it has four locations in San Antonio, two in Austin and one in Dallas. However you feel about chain restaurants, you must experience Sushi Zushi. I frequent the one on W. Fifth, but there is one at The Domain in North Austin.

First off, let me warn you: The menu overwhelms at best. Sushi Zushi's menu caters to the adventurous sushi eater, as it has some of the most creative rolls I've ever seen. While creative, the menu lists so many rolls it can be hard to decide what to eat as the choices are simply overwhelming. Never fear, the waitstaff is always helpful and ready to explain and offer some yummy choices. It is also easily divided by fish type and roll type. Once recovering from your initial sushi-choice-overload, I know you'll find something to suit your palette, and don't be afraid to try something a little crazy!

I didn't get my favorite roll while I was at Sushi Zushi this last time. But believe me, the Sushi Zushi Roll is to DIE FOR! It's smoked salmon, asparagus, kanikama crab, yamagobo, avocado and cream cheese wrapped in cucumber and seaweed and topped with eel sauce. I normally don't like smoked salmon or cream cheese in my rolls, but the overall flavor combination combined with the soft and crunchy textures definitely is a celebration in my mouth. While this is not an "official" review of the roll, I give it 5 out of 5 Mouthgasms!

Now on to the rolls that Ali and me devoured: Jen and Strawberry rolls.

We started our meal with edamame. It's always steamed perfectly and little on the saltier side (which is fabulous because I love salt. High blood pressure, here I come!). Ali dined on the house salad (her thoughts to come soon) and I got my usual - miso soup.

Miso is my standard appy at all sushi establishments. Sushi Zushi by far has some of the best miso I've tried. It's not too watered down and has the perfect salt to water ratio. I don't even put extra soy sauce in it. In addition, huge chunks of tofu and seaweed float through the cloudy broth. DE. LICI. OUS.

On to the main course.

Ali opted for the Jen Roll while I ordered the Strawberry Roll.

The chef combines spicy crab and sprouts topped with tuna, salmon and escolar, drizzled in a creamy wasabi sauce to create the tongue-tingling Jen Roll. I am not a fan of spicy foods, but this roll is pure perfection on the spice level. It doesn't make you break a sweat or guzzle a gallon of water, but it doesn't leave you wanting more heat! The creamy wasabi sauce - I could eat it on everything I think. And if it's not spicy enough for you, add a little bit of wasabi to your soy sauce and your mouth will be ON FIRE!

The sprouts also add a nice little crunch. I love the combination of textures in food, especially sushi, and I think this roll accomplishes a subtle amount of variance, but not enough to freak you out!

The strawberry roll is probably one of the most creative/adventurous rolls I've tried. The combination of shrimp tempura and masago wrapped in avocado, tuna and strawberries topped with kiwi and Las Vegas sauce creates a tropical experience for your tastebuds. I'm not exactly sure what Las Vegas sauce is, but it's delicious! This roll has a salty-sweet combo. The shrimp tempura mixed with the sweet fresh strawberries makes you feel like you're on Japanese pic-nic. I've never thought fruit paired with sushi would be so delightfully delectable.

Once again, this roll combines textures artfully. The crunchy tempura with the softer strawberries, avocado and fish really is quite enjoyable. Not to mention, the roll is beautiful! It's bright red with green sauce. I loved the colorful and yummy creation!

The rolls in general at Sushi Zushi are just right to a little large in size. Ali said she had "spillage" and would never eat the rolls in front of dude. I'll let you read into that what you will! However, based on the size or maybe it's sushi (or Ali?), the rolls offer up a slew of great "that's what she said" banter.

The atmosphere is also great. Rather you're there with a group of friends or on a first date, Sushi Zushi can accommodate your needs. It has a loungey feel, and they turn down the lights once the sun starts to go down. I've never noticed any music so either they don't play it or it's not obnoxious/loud enough to make you say, "OMG, why are they playing this?". They also have a fabulous cocktail selection (perfect for a girl's night or happy hour!). I didn't get one on this adventure, but I've some yummy ones before.

The waitress we had was friendly and helpful. She even suggested some great rolls for our next visit. Her recommendations include the Bora Bora, Cosimo, Diamond, Jack, Godzilla, Diamond rolls, among others!

And the mouthgasms?

Jen Roll - 4
Strawberry Roll - 4.5

Well readers, I apologize for the tardiness of this first review (I told you I was lazy!), but there will certainly be more to come. Please feel free to suggest my next place review, and let's hold off on Uchi. I'm saving it for a special occasion!



1 comment:

  1. MOUTHGASMS scoring? You're HILARIOUS!

    Love the blog

    -N to the C

    ReplyDelete